Monday, October 27, 2008

Tyler Robertson Interview


Recently, I had the pleasure of interviewing one of the Twins pitching prospects, Tyler Robertson. He was drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the 2006 draft (3rd round). He was part of the Ft. Myers organization this past year and went 5-3 with a 2.72 ERA in 15 starts. He walked 31 and struck out 73.

Kevin Lewis: Tyler, thank you for taking time to answer some questions about your career so far.

Tyler Robertson: Anytime. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.

KL: I read that you also played football and basketball during high school. What made you decide the baseball career?

TR: I always knew I was going to play baseball and that I was and am a baseball player first. I loved basketball too growing up and played my first year of football as a freshmen. Football quickly became my second favorite sport behind baseball. I played quaterback and had a good amount of Division 1 football scholarship offers but like I said, I have loved baseball all my life and knew thats what I was going to do.

KL: Growing up as a kid and during high school, did you have a favorite player/idol? If so, who was it?

TR: I have always been a fan of Randy Johnson. I would say he was definately my favorite player/idol growing up.

KL:
What was it like being drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the 2006 Amateur draft? Do you remember where you were when you found out you had been drafted?

TR: I talked to many teams my senior year in high school and developed a great relationship with Kevin Bootay, the scout for the Twins who signed me. I was very happy to be drafted by the Twins. The draft took place on the same morning of my high school graduation. So I graduated at about 10:00 that morning, got home about 10:40 and was drafted around 11. It all happened very fast and was one of my favorite and most special days ever.

KL: You have four pitches in your arsenal. Your fastball, slider, curveball, and changeup. Can you give us a little insight into your pitches? Which one might need work? Which one is your strongest?

TR: I do throw all 4 pitches. I would have to say my two best pitches are my fastball and slider. I feel very confident in my curveball and change up as well. If I had to pick one pitch out to work on most it would be my change up.

KL: This kind of touches on the last question, but do you feel there is a pitch that will need some more work before you reach the majors?

TR: I feel like the pitches I have now are good enough, I just think the main thing is fine tunning them and getting better command and more consistant with each of them.

KL: Where do you anticipate starting the 2009 Minor League season?

TR: Not sure yet. I ended the season on the DL. My arm is all better now so its up to the people in charge really. I would say there is a chance at AA if I am throwing well in Spring Training. Either that or they will want me to show them that I am healthy and start me back in Fort Myers.

KL: If there is one thing you could tell the young kids out there learning to become a pitcher, what would you say?

TR: Throw as much as you can to strengthen your arm and watch and listen. That is how you learn about pitching.

KL: I again want to thank you for answer a few questions. All of us Twins fan wish you the best of luck in 2009 and beyond.

TR: Thank you very much.

No comments: